Marketing and Communications Manager
Great Lakes Theater
April 02, 2018
CLEVELAND, OH - Great Lakes Theater (GLT), Cleveland’s Classic Company, concludes its 2018-19 season with Off Broadway’s groovy retro-hit revue, Beehive – The ‘60s Musical. The production will be performed in the company’s intimate home at the Hanna Theatre, Playhouse Square, May 4-20, 2018. Victoria Bussert directs. Beehive – The ‘60s Musical was created by Larry Gallagher.
Generous production support for Beehive – The ‘60s Musical was provided by FirstEnergy Foundation and the Kulas Foundation. The production is part of the Kulas Musical Theater Series at Great Lakes Theater. GLT is also supported in part by the residents of Cuyahoga County through a generous public grant from Cuyahoga Arts & Culture. Season support is provided by The Cleveland Foundation and the Ohio Arts Council. Media sponsors for GLT’s 56th season are The FORM Group and ideastream (WCLV, WCPN, WVIZ).
Beehive – The ‘60s Musical is an exuberant jukebox celebration of the women musicians who made the ‘60s truly memorable. Beehive transports audiences on a nostalgic musical journey back in time. Featuring forty classic chart-toppers (and Aqua Net-glistening coiffures, of course), this groovy retro-revue highlights hits that range from the Supremes’ memorable melodies to Janis Joplin’s heart-rending rasp to Aretha Franklin’s soul and more. So break out your vintage best…and prepare to sing along, dance in the aisles and relive one of music’s truly golden eras.
Great Lakes Theater’s acclaimed home at the Hanna Theatre features a visionary “Great Room” inspired design that integrates the artist and audience experience into a single unified environment. Hanna patrons select from a variety of seating opportunities including traditional theater seats, club chairs, lounge/bar seats, banquette couches and private box seating. Arranged in an intimate 550-seat thrust configuration where the audience surrounds the stage, no seat is further than 13 rows from the performance.
Great Lakes Theater offers patrons a robust series of Experience Enhancement Programming that is organized by day of week. The series highlights the Hanna’s unique amenities and affords access to artists.
• “Director’s Night” offers audiences the opportunity to take part in a lively pre-show discussion with GLT’s Producing Artistic Director, Charles Fee before the Friday preview performance. (Offered: May 4)
• “Salon Thursdays” feature an engaging pre-show discussion/presentation beginning one hour before curtain with a Great Lakes Theater artist. (Offered: May 10, 17)
• “Happy Hour Fridays” afford audience members the opportunity to gather, socialize and enjoy appetizers or beverages for sale in the Hanna’s bar and lounge beginning ninety minutes before the performance. (Offered: May 4, 11, 18)
• “Playnotes Pre-Show Discussions” inform patrons with illuminating introductions to the content and history of each play in GLT’s season presented by a guest scholar before Saturday matinee performances. (Offered: May 12, 19)
• “Nightcap Night Saturdays” are designed to encourage audience members to stay after the evening performance and mingle with the GLT artistic company in the Hanna’s lounge. The Hanna’s bar is open ninety minutes after Nightcap Night Saturday performances.” (Offered: May 12, 19)
• “Ice Cream Social Sundays” offer patrons the opportunity to enjoy a London theatre tradition brought state-side. Audience members are invited to purchase a cool, personal ice cream treat before the show or at intermission. Ice cream will be offered at every performance in Beehive’s run, but on “Ice Cream Social Sundays,” the treat is half price. (Offered: May 6, 13, 20)
Great Lakes Theater will continue to afford patrons extraordinary access to its artists and production process at every Hanna Theatre performance. The Hanna always opens its doors ninety minutes before each performance allowing patrons to observe the complete pre-show preparation process of GLT’s actors and technical staff. Elements traditionally hidden from audiences such as stage combat rehearsals, dance calls, prop/scenic pre-sets, technical cue rehearsals and actor warm-ups will be conducted in full view of patrons, offering GLT audiences an unprecedented glimpse into the theatrical process.
Great Lakes Theater will also renew its New Deal pricing initiative - designed to increase accessibility for audiences. As part of the program, adult tickets begin at $15 and student ticTkets for any seat at any performance are $13 - making GLT one of the most affordable entertainment options in the region.
The Opening Night (also Press Night) performance is scheduled for Saturday, May 5. A preview performance is scheduled for the preceding Friday night evening (May 4th). Curtain times for all evening performances will remain at 7:30 p.m., with a 1:30 p.m. curtain time for Saturday matinees and a 3:00 p.m. curtain time for Sunday matinees. Special weekday matinees are scheduled for Wednesday, May 10th and 17th at 1:30 p.m. A sign-interpreted and audio-described performance is scheduled for Sunday, May 20th at 3:00 p.m.
Single performance tickets range in price from $15-$80 (Student tickets are $13) and are available by calling (216) 241-6000, by ordering online at www.greatlakestheater.org or by visiting the Playhouse Square Ticket Office. Groups of ten or more receive discounts of up to 25% by calling (216) 453-4457.
Great Lakes Theater, the first resident company of Playhouse Square, has brought the pleasure, power and relevance of classic theater to the widest possible audience since 1962. On its main stage and through its extensive educational programming, Great Lakes Theater positively impacts the lives of over 100,000 adults and students annually.
Beehive – The ‘60s Musical is presented through special arrangement with Theatrical Rights Worldwide (TRW) and all authorized performance materials are also supplied by TRW, New York, NY. (Tel: 646-736-3232. Fax: 212-643-1322. www.theatricalrights.com)
# # #
Marketing and Communications Manager
(216) 453-1068 firstname.lastname@example.org
Beehive - The '60s Musical