"Are We All Met?"
-A Midsummer Night's Dream III, i
Keep up with all things Great Lakes Theater. Our blog is a great way to learn about the very latest Great Lakes Theater news/notes and enjoy extraordinary "behind-the-scenes" access to the creative process of our artistic company.
January 29, 2013 - leave a comment
ON YOUR MARK, GET SET...GO!
Today was the Meet & Greet and first rehearsal for our upcoming production of "Blithe Spirit." The cast, crew, designers and GLT's administrative staff gathered in one of the PlayhouseSquare rehearsal halls to welcome one another and launch the rehearsal process in good spirits.
After introductions and a warm welcome, designers and staff departed for scene/prop/costume shops and offices to enable the cast to embark upon a first read through of the script together at tables as a company.
Actors will be on their feet soon...bringing the play to life...as stage management has already taped out the scaled dimensions of the set on the floor of the hall to provide a spacially realistic environment for their work. The company will rehearse in the rehearsal hall for approximately 2.5 weeks before moving over to the Hanna for the homestretch. Only 25 days until opening! We can't wait.
January 08, 2013 - leave a comment
PICTURE PERFECT: Today we received the promotional brochure and poster that will support our upcoming outreach touring production of DOUBLE HEART (by David Hansen) back from the printer. They look great and we hope to share them with you soon! In prep for the process, last month we shot the promotional image that is featured on the pieces with our amazing and talented photography partners at TRG Reality. While we were at the studio, we also snapped some pics of our own to give you a sneak peek at how we collaboratively bring these images to life. For complete info and tour dates/times, click here.
December 26, 2012 - leave a comment
Did you know that we connect over 40,000 students to the classics each year through our education programming - both on our main stage and in classrooms across NE Ohio? It's true! Committed to education since our inception in 1962, we're grateful to the myriad of corporations, foundations and individual donors who generously make this programming possible each season. Please help us continue to positively impact students' lives and consider making a donation. Over 40,000 students this coming season say THANK YOU.
December 12, 2012 - leave a comment
Great Lakes Theater, in partnership with the Cleveland Metropolitan School District, celebrates the writing achievements of sixth, seventh and eighth grade winners who participated in our annual "A Christmas Carol Writing Contest." Special thanks to Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson, CMSD Deputy Chief of Curriculum and Instruction Karen Thompson, and The Abington Foundation, for their leadership support of this program.
December 12, 2012 - 2 comment(s)
2013 SONGWRITING CONTEST
Check out the details and listen to the winning songs and stream the original broadcast online!
Check back soon for details about our 2014 contest.
Are you a solo artist or in a band? Do you write/perform original songs? We want to hear.
Great Lakes Theater is producing MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING this April at PlayhouseSquare’s Hanna Theatre in downtown Cleveland. We are looking for original, new songs composed by Ohio students who are inspired by this Shakespearean classic. Songs can be in any style, including instrumentals. There are no entry or registration fees.
Four Grand Prize Winners Will Receive:
· $250 cash prize
· Professionally engineered studio recording of winning song at WCPN’s state-of-the-art facility in downtown Cleveland
· Professionally produced CDs of the four grand prize winners’ songs, and their “behind the music” interviews, with host Dee Perry
· Song and interview played on Dee Perry’s award-winning program “Around Noon,” WCPN 90.3 FM, on April 23, 2013 (Shakespeare’s 449th birthday!)
· Free tickets to Great Lakes Theater’s spring production of MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING
· Students must be Ohio residents and in grades 6 – 12, or undergraduates attending a certified Ohio college or university
· Songwriter(s) must read, or have already read, MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING
· Song must have a clear connection to Shakespeare’s play
· Must be a brand new song, not one you’ve already written
· Songs can be submitted in any format (CD, MP3, etc.)
· If not an instrumental, lyrics must be submitted with song entry
· Sign up for the contest by February 13, 2013
· Submit your original, new, MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING-inspired song by March 15, 2013
· Winners will be notified and recording/interview sessions scheduled in late March
Email David Hansen or call 216-241-5490 x309. Sign up today!
To see previous winners, click here.